I really like this soup because it it lighter than the traditional french onion soup, and freezes well. It is very cheap to make, and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients.
Serving : 6
Preparation: 10 minutes
Baking : 60 minutes
1.5lb onions (yellow, the cheapest ones), chopped. I like to have rings and small parts)
2 tbsp butter
6 tbsp flour
6 cups water
2 egg yolks
4 tbsp heavy cream
dried parsley or chives (optional) + salt and pepper
- Melt the butter, and add the onion, and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Add salt, and let it simmer for 45 minutes on medium.
- Meanwhile, mix the egg yolks and cream (and parsley or chive finely chopped if you want).
- After 45 minutes turn off the heat, and just before serving, add the cream mixture and mix well.
- Super easy, and cheap. Just serve it with bread or with toasts.
- If you don’t add the cream mixture, you can freeze it. Just add it when you’ll use it.